Mood in Rygersdal camp upbeat despite quarter-final defeat – coach

Rygersdal's Faeez Adams keeps Grant Jacobus at bay during his side's 2-0 defeat against Beacon Spurs.

Rygersdal FC’s fine run in this year’s Coke Cup competition came to an end at the weekend when they lost 2-0 against Beacon Spurs in a quarter-final clash, in Khayelitsha, on Sunday

The game was played at a rapid pace with the Rondebosch side causing all sorts of problems in the opening stages of the match.

However, Spurs midfielder Tohier Martin found the back of the net in the 21st minute following a miscommunication between Rygersdal goalkeeper Kashief Trumpeter and his defender.

Rygersdal kept pressing for the equaliser, keeping Spurs goalkeeper Morgan Schultz busy between the sticks.

The score was 1-0 going into the break. Winger Shane Jacobs sealed the game for Spurs when he scored his side’s second goal midway through the second half.

Although disappointed, Rygersdal manager David van der Merwe is confident that they can still finish the season on a high note.

“The goal was to at least make it to the semi-finals of this competition after we were knocked out in the last-round of 16 last year.

“We dominated the game in the first quarter as we had about four clear cut chances. We could not put them away and got punished,” he said.

Last year’s Cape Town Tygerberg Football Association’s first division and knockout champions, the Rondebosch-based side are currently lying fifth on the log with four games remaining. Van der Merwe said they can still end the season with a bang as they are still in the running to take league’s knockout title.

* In other Coke Cup actionStephanian Ottery FC lost 2-1 to United FC. The match was a replay of last month’s fixture where Stephs used more than three substitutes. In that match, the boys from Ottery thumped United 6-0.

On Sunday, Warren van Nel opened the scoring for United in the second half, but Stephs centre back Zaheer Abrahams pulled one back minutes later.

However, United’s Jesreel Scheepers had the final say when he scored the winner.

* Langa’s Citizens FC’s run in the competition also came to an end when they were beaten 5-2 by Helderberg side Two For Joy.

* In the highly contested under-18 division, Hellenic beat Old Mutual Academy 1-0; Glendene United beat Everton 3-0; Junior Pirates beat Eastern Rovers 5-4 on penalties and; Masidlale Academy beat Milano United 2-0.

* In the women’s division, champions RV United from Khayelitsha beat Heideveld Female Football Academy 2-1; UWC beat Virgo Women’s FC 7-1 and; Ikamva beat Portia 3-2.