UCT hoping for comeback after tough loss

No way through for Tygerbergs Dale van Schalkwyk as UCTs Robert Charles Ball stands firm in defence during his sides 33-34 loss away at Florida Park at the weekend.

picture: buntu gotywa

But it wasn’t to be as the students were stunned by the Ravensmead side 34-33 in a Super League A (SLA)encounter played at the weekend.

With UCT Ikey Tigers leading Tiere 33-27 inside the last five minutes, the Ravesmead side desperately needed to protect the ball and go over the line.

Wing Fabian van der Vent would provide the spark and started the move that won the game inside his own half and zig-zagged through the UCT defence, much to the delight of a packed Florida Park.

Tygerberg were eventually rewarded for their relentless attack late in the game when Mayizukiswe Ntshoko bulldozed his way over the tryline to take Tiere to within a point. When Daniel Roberts converted to give Tygerberg a one point lead, he triggered wild celebrations from the Florida Park faithfuls.

UCT is the only side to beat the impenetrable Maties outfit in this year’s SLA and tried in vain to find a way past Tygerberg, who by their own standards haven’t had the best of runs in the league.

The loss left UCT two points from the sixth spot on the log but they will have a chance to move up with victory in their last encounter this weekend.

However, it doesn’t get any easier as they visit another tricky side in Union-Milnerton (Uni-Mil).

The Ikeys will go to the encounter knowing very well that victory at all costs is needed if they are to make the top six.

Uni-Mil, however, pose a big threat to those ambitions as they will continue to protect their home-ground.

Elsewhere, Villager RFC lost their much anticipated derby against False Bay RFC at the weekend. The final score was 50-32, after Villager led 20-17 at the break.

False Bay had the visitors under pressure almost from the outset, scoring their first try, by centre Danie Roux, within the first three minutes. Wing Karl Martin converted and then followed this up with a penalty conversion a few minutes later.

The Bay’s option to go for the three points instead of setting up a lineout, perhaps indicated the respect they held for their southern suburbs rivals.

Ten points to the good and the Bay had their tails up. Soon afterwards Shuaib “Bom” Samai scored a thrilling try started from a sixty metre counter attack and the visitors seemed shell-shocked.

The Dirty Whites were not about to capitulate. First left wing Lunathi Nxeli scored for his team, which Damien West easily converted.

West then guided two penalties through the posts to bring his team to within four points of False Bay.

It was a closely contested half, with the visitors taking the spoils on the scoreboard, a deserved and handy lead to have as they turned with the wind at their backs for the second stanza.

As the second half commenced, the attitudes of the two camps of supporters were vastly different.

The Bay regained the lead through a Danie Roux try and then Knoop scored at the back of a rolling mall, which Martin converted to give his team a nine-point lead.

Thevisitorsansweredin emphatic fashion as fullback Keenan Jacobs scythed through the Bay defence and scored between the uprights and West converted.

It was at this stage that the hosts flexed some muscle and demonstrated the threat they pose to opposing lines.

They scored three tries within half an hour.

The hopes of the visitors were dashed and the spectre of playoffs returning as their chances of an upset faded.

They simply never gave up and with only referee’s optional time remaining, Villager employed a rumbling mall which saw reserve hooker Tinash Chaza emerge from the bottom of the pile of bodies, a broad smile and high-fives all round clear evidence of his score.

Additional reporting by Jon Harris, a member of False Bay RFC.