Common ground… As we celebrate the Tatler’s 40th anniversary, we pause to rewind just a little. This picture shows an aerial view of Rondebosch Common, 1962. The Common had been used for numerous purposes before it became a public space. During the Anglo Boer War it was a military camp and later it was used for cattle grazing. In 1876 it was home to the Villagers Football Club and in 1891 it became a golf course. (From Forgotten Cape Town, A Visual History 1850 – 1950).The Tatler catchment area has always been a hive of sporting activity in Cape Town – from a packed Newlands Stadium to Newlands swimming pool in its hey day; from WPCC to Hartleyvale and legendary schools’ derbies.