Uyinene accused in court

The court gave media permission to take pictures of Luyanda Botha who appeared in court hiding under his hoodie.

The identity of the Clareinch post office worker accused of the rape and murder of 19-year-old UCT student Uyinene Mrwetyana was revealed at the Wynberg’s Magistrate Court on Tuesday.

Magistrate Goolam Bawa lifted the order so Luyanda Botha’s name could be made known to the media and public.

In September, the court ordered that the identity of the accused not be released as an identity parade and investigation were still to be conducted.

Western Cape Director of Public Prosecutions, Rodney de Kock, says the investigation has been completed.

Advocate De Kock says the state will hand over evidence and post-mortem reports to the suspect’s legal defence.

Uyinene, known as Nene, was last seen leaving her student residence in Claremont on Saturday August 24, around 1.30pm.

Mr Botha was arrested on Thursday August 29 after police investigated a tip-off that the post office might have been the scene of a crime as blood was found on a mop.

Mr Botha, 42, from Khayelitsha, confessed to Claremont police that he had killed Uyinene and told officers where he dumped her body in Khayelitsha.

Prosecutor Nomnikelo Konisi told the court on Monday September 2 that the accused was charged with rape and murder as well as defeating the ends of justice.

She said Uyinene, a first-year film and media student, had gone to the post office in Claremont to collect a parcel.

“The lights were out and the accused asked her to return later and when she returned, he accosted her and allegedly raped her, she fought back and he hit her with a scale,” said Ms Konisi.

“The accused later dumped her body in Lingelethu West, Khayelitsha, and took investigators to the scene,” said Ms Konisi ( “Student’s murder causes uproar,” Southern Suburbs Tatler, September 5).

On Tuesday, Mr Botha entered a packed courtroom wearing a hoodie to cover his head.

The media was given two minutes to take his picture.

People shouted slurs as he approached the dock.

Before the court proceedings there was a small demonstration by members of the Congress of South African Trade Unions (COSATU) and Ilitha Labantu, a social service and educational organisation with a specific focus on addressing violence against women and children.

Spokesperson for Ilitha Labantu, Siyabulele Monakiali ,says as an organisation they want greater urgency in cases of this nature.

“Often these cases are delayed or postponed and this means justice is not served and we want all justice systems to treat all cases of this nature with a greater sense of urgency,” he said.

Cosatu provincial secretary, Malvern de Bruyn, said what happened to Uyinene was very sad and the suspect should be jailed for life for what he did to an innocent young woman.

Sergeant Lutchmee Chetty from Claremont police, who was involved in arresting Mr Botha, says it was an emotional experience from a women’s point of view.

“It was heartbreaking what happened to Uyinene as a police officer and mother knowing that we are fighting for the rights and safety for women and children and something like this happened to a young girl,” she said.

The case will be transferred to the Western High Court on Friday November 15 where Mr Botha will face charges of rape , murder and defeating the ends of justice. He did not wish to apply for bail.