Residents object to Newlands development

A 3-D version of how the proposed development would look at Kinkle Way, Newlands.

More traffic, more noise and invasion of privacy are some of the objections Newlands residents have raised to two five-storey blocks of flats in Kinkle Way.

Classico Developments has submitted planning applications to the City of Cape Town to clear the way for two blocks of 90 flats and 110 parking bays.

The firm sought to build flats on the same site in 2017 but later withdrew the application.

Classico’s financial director, Robert Meinez, said all but one of the on-site parking bays would be in a basement, and the parking complied with the City’s requirement of 1.25 bays per unit in an area with plenty of public transport within in walking distance.

The company wants to rezone five properties – 177, 177A, 179, 179 (which includes the driveway) and 181 Kinkle Way – to make way for the block.

Kinkle Way is near the end of a cul-de-sac.

Peter Bridger lives in the road and fears the development will cause major congestion. He said it was already “difficult to move in the road” during sports fixtures at nearby Newlands Stadium.

Another resident, Charles Gonsenhauser, said it made no sense to create more congestion near “vital traffic links”.

He said: “The number of vehicles arising from the proposed development will undoubtedly have a detrimental impact on these traffic flows, particularly into Mariendahl Avenue from Kinkle Way during the morning peak hours.”

The development would also intrude on neighbours’ privacy, he said.

Gilbert Kubwima, who rents in Kinkle Way, said he would move if the development went ahead.

Classico’s director, Bruce Ladegaard, described the development as “lifestyle apartments” for over-50s.

“Our building is ideally located to all the amenities that Claremont has to offer. It’s central to the local gym, the sports facilities offered at Kelvin Grove and close enough to stroll to Newlands rugby and cricket games,” he said.

The development would have double-glazing glass to dampen noise, he said.

The development has Heritage Western Cape approval, and Mr Ladegaard said his firm had permits to demolish houses on the site.

HWC chief executive officer, Dr Mxolisi Dlamuka, said the area had insufficient heritage significance to warrant a heritage-impact assessment, and being outside of a heritage protection overlay zone was “out of the jurisdiction for HWC to enforce heritage requirements”.

In 2017, Classico’s proposed building of two blocks of flats with 58 units, on the same site, with basement parking for 70 cars and a visitors’ parking lot, was met with objections from the Greater Lynfrae Civic Association.(“Residents fume over flats plan,” Southern Suburbs Tatler, November 2, 2017)

Allan Rhodes, chairman of the association’s planning sub-committee said they had cited traffic as their main concern in 2017, and Classico’s new proposal hadn’t made them change their mind on that.

“The impact of some 50 or more vehicles per hour trying to join the traffic in Mariendahl during the peak hour at the acute intersection will probably be such as to cause a significant queue to form in Kinkle Way,” he said.

Mr Ladegaard said the company had a previous application for approval in 2017 for a lower number units that were considerably larger in size.

That application, he said, had been withdrawn due to procedural changes to the process of site development applications to council.

“We were, in turn, required to submit an alternative application for more smaller units and also allow for a height of five storeys,” he said.

Ward councillor Ian Iversen met with the developers to view the plans.

“Although a traffic study has been done, it is self-evident that 90 plus vehicles entering the road system at peak travel times will only add to the existing congestion,” he said.

Mr Iversen is also worried about the proposed number of flats in the block, as the complex will be in a cul-de-sac.

Marian Nieuwoudt, Mayco member for spatial planning and environment, said April 1 was the closing date for public comment on the developer’s land-use applications.

Comments and objections can be emailed to Comments_Objections.Southern@capetown.gov.za or call district manager Ossie Gonsalves at 021 444 7720 or 084 888 0702.

Each objection must include the reference number, the reason for objection and the name of the person sending the objection.