Resident wants recompense for dog injury

Jack had to have surgery after stepping into glass.

A Mowbray dog owner says he had to fork out R5 000 on surgery after his dog stepped on glass while walking through UCT’s lower campus, and he says the university has done nothing to remedy the situation.

Gavin Dandridge, said he had walked his 10-year-old Boston terrier, Jack, close to the university’s Kopano Residence, for the animal’s entire life without incident.

However, on Sunday May 26, Jack cut his foot on glass, which Mr Dandridge believes, was left by the students who had had a party at the residence.

“I have been walking my dogs in the area of Welgelegen for many years along with many other people from the neighbourhood. A few weeks ago the residence Kopano had a party and the gates from the lawn were opened up and chemical toilets were set in the area. The students left an awful mess which took forever to clean up, but the area where the toilets were, wasn’t cleaned up. There is loads of broken glass and bottles all over the place. My dog ran down there on Sunday and cut his foot and had to have expensive surgery to repair it.”

Mr Dandridge said he contacted UCT on the Monday and received an email the following Monday which read: “The matter has been addressed by both the Kopano staff and our grounds and garden section. The Kopano committee said they did not purchase or dispense alcohol in glass bottles to any of its own students or invited guests.

“It is believed they were outsiders who were consuming alcohol in the area concerned. However, we sincerely apologise for the negative experience association with the event.”

Mr Dandridge said he wasn’t satisfied with the response from the university and felt they failed to take responsibility.

He said the area was used daily by many residents, who took their children and their dogs for walks.

He said he also wanted to warn walkers to be cautious, as he did not want anyone else to get injured.

“It is not acceptable that a property, which is available to the public and other students, can be left in such a dangerous state,” he said.

Mr Dandridge said Jack had to be confined to the house for four weeks, while he recovered.

“My dog is pretty old and had to risk unnecessary sedation for surgery,” he said.

UCT said it was unable to respond to questions at the time, as the relevant staff were on leave.