A fire gutted three classrooms at the Western Province Preparatory School, in Claremont, on Sunday March 12.
The fire department was alerted at 7.20am, according to City Fire and Rescue Service spokesman Jermaine Carelse.
“The fire was on the second floor and it involved a few classrooms,” he said.
Fire crews from Salt River, Constantia, Roeland Street, and Milnerton were dispatched to the scene along with two fire engines and a rescue vehicle.
“Firefighters extinguished the fire after 9am. No injuries were reported, and the cause of the fire seems to be possibly a short circuit in the electrical wiring,” he said.
Claremont police spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Marnus Fourie said no foul play was suspected.
Wayne Naidoo, the principal of the independent school for boys, said the school would do its own forensic investigation into the fire.
“It is sad and tragic what happened to the classrooms. The teachers and pupils experienced loss, though we had a debriefing with staff and pupils, and we assured them that the school will remain strong.”
Mr Naidoo said the fire had gutted two Grade 6 classrooms and one Grade 7 classroom and destroyed books, desks, chairs and computer equipment.
“We are just glad that nobody got injured in the fire.”
Mr Naidoo thanked neighbouring schools and the schooling community for their messages of support.